CALLING ALL WRITERS: REmix the outline below into a narrative for our new Mini-Documentary & contribute your REmixes HERE
WE ARE CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER
There are seven billion people on earth of all different shapes and sizes, different ethnicities and cultures, languages and customs. We like to define ourselves as individuals and think of ourselves as truly unique, but the experiences and emotions that we feel, are shared. They unite us.
Science has proven that all currently living humans descend from a Mitochondriaial Eve and a Biological Adam. Although we may look different on the outside, we are 99.9% genetically identical. It’s that 0.1% that gives us our own identity.
There’s a forest in central Utah, called Pando, that is comprised of 47,000 quaking aspen trees; all connected by one, giant root structure. While each tree might look slightly different on the surface, the entire forest is actually a single, living organism. When one tree gets sick, the roots feed it additional nutrients to nurse it back to health. Like Pando, we’re dependent on one another for survival. The forest is harmonious; able to co-exist with the species that surround it.
In the Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon, exists the largest living organism on Earth. The honey mushroom covers over 2,200 acres and spreads underground, killing trees by attacking and feeding off of their roots as it grows.
There are those who suggest that the human race is an infestation — as we exponentially grow, we sap Earth’s natural resources and kill every other species in the ecosystem.
WHO ARE WE?
So, which is it? Are we one, harmonious family unit that feeds and protects each other and works to co-exist with our planet (like Pando)? Or, are we collectively destroying that which surrounds us, like the honey mushroom? Or, both? Or, neither?
Yeah, I think I might have a thing or two to say about this, both scientifically and culturally.
- ajotaarmando likes this
- youngnaivepsycho likes this
- rbaileywhite likes this
- praeteritio likes this
- jsmn-hk likes this
- djflizzyflamesnotes reblogged this from hitrecord
- yappadoodle reblogged this from hitrecord
- yorkstreetphotography likes this
- literategirl likes this
- captainameri-bla likes this
- everydaythursday likes this
- mime-apocalypse likes this
- echelon13 likes this
- imhannauniverse reblogged this from hitrecord
- imhannauniverse likes this
- derekrockatansky reblogged this from hitrecord
- audaciousninja likes this
- geminiasian likes this
- silentlikesylvia likes this
- channellingebert likes this
- princesskls likes this
- one-year-in-every-ten likes this
- darkwisp reblogged this from hitrecord
- darkwisp likes this
- supereklektik reblogged this from hitrecord
- swelldame likes this
- thehfquinzel likes this
- newstartnewsmiles likes this
- tetlepanquetzal reblogged this from hitrecord
- tetlepanquetzal likes this
- vivid-piksie likes this
- spoopylucy likes this
- supriyahearts likes this
- soredtherose reblogged this from hitrecord
- jimsbomb likes this
- liliwur likes this
- simplisticmemories likes this
- raineydaze likes this
- slightlyignorant likes this
- theteaguy likes this
- itsallaboutthespin likes this
- theeducatedowlsayswhom likes this
- coeur-de-boudica reblogged this from hitrecord
- coeur-de-boudica likes this
- ozlemhaluk likes this
- pantsoclock likes this
- shoshweet reblogged this from hitrecord
- shoshweet likes this
- this-is-rmedia likes this